Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem

From: Angelina Carlton
Subject: Re: emacs-snapshot keybinding problem
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:41:22 -0500

>       keycode 115 = Hyper
>       add Mod4 = Hyper
>       keycode 115 = super
>       add Mod5 = super

Ok, for this system it complains that Hyper and super are not valid
keysyms so this is my ~/.xmodmaprc

,----
| keycode 182 = F13
| keycode 183 = F14
| keycode 184 = F15
| keycode 93 = F16
| keycode 115 = Hyper_L
| clear Mod3
| add Mod3 = Hyper_L
| keycode 116 = Super_R
| clear Mod4
| add Mod4 = Super_R
`----
xmodmap -pm:

,----
| xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
| shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
| lock
| control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_L (0x42),  Control_R (0x6d)
| mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
| mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
| mod3        Hyper_L (0x73)
| mod4        Super_R (0x74)
| mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x77)
`----

So my function keys now go all the way up to F16 :-) and I have OPTL set
to Hyper_L and OPTR set to Super_R, I now need to
learn the syntax to bind something to the Super and Hyper keys

(global-set-key [(hyper q)] 'some-function) does not work.

> You probably know what xmodmap -pm shows? And you probably already
> learned that you can re-map the keys in X11 at once, without re-boot,
> log-off and -in, shutting X11 down and re-launching it?

I am just using xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc to "source" this file.

Incidentally these function keys still get overwritten in emacs22, I have
not tried to address this yet because as you pointed out, my
key mappings were incorrect to begin with, even in emacs21 so one step at
a time I suppose :)

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net