Re: How to bind keys in emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to bind keys in emacs?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:13:58 +0200

> From: Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:28:49 +0100
>
> >  Or 'iconify-or-deiconify-frame for w32, apparently, instead of
> > 'suspend-emacs. I don't know why this is. Do both work under Linux?
>
> Why do you think I wrote:
>                                    (if window-system
>                                        (iconify-or-deiconify-frame)
>                                        (suspend-emacs))
>
> ?

(I'm not the OP) I don't know why, I only know that `window-system' is
``considered harmful''.  In this case, you should use
`display-multi-frame-p' or `(fboundp 'iconify-or-deiconify-frame)'
instead.  That's because `window-system' doesn't say anything about
the underlying functionality, so it's better to use predicates which
do.  (As a matter of fact, there's at least one Emacs configuration
that has non-nil `window-system', but doesn't support iconify.)