echo area message after selection of menu-bar item

From: David Reitter
Subject: echo area message after selection of menu-bar item
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:50:30 +0000

After I select a menu-item, the path through the keymaps leading to that item is shown in the echo area, for example "menu-bar options highlight-paren-mode". That's rather uninformative to me as a user and I'd like to turn it off. I haven't been able to find an option or even the place in the code that shows me this output.

How do I turn it off?
Or, where in the code is the output made?

Thanks for any answer!