Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:42:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Then I looked into the Emacs C development sources and read a bit about the printing interface in Windows. As far as I can see Emacs just does not implement the printing interface currently.

Emacs needs either a port name or a printer name, and it treats those
as if they were files.  These two possibilities cover most of the
Windows printer configurations I've seen.  The question is, what is
your configuration, and why these two possibilities don't work for it.
You might be right. Maybe it can work. I do not remember all the tests I did any more why they failed and I leave it to someone else who think this is worth trying.

However if you want to do it the way you suggest don't you have to know the specifics of the printer then? In the environment where I am using a printer there are a lot of different printers so I really want to avoid doing anything that is printer specific. I want to use the printing interface that Windows supply. That interface handles all the printer specific details if you call it the right way.

Have I missed something in the sources? Does Emacs use this interface? If it does then I am simply wrong. If it does not then I prefer to use the system independent interface that Emacs supplies in browse-url-of-file which I use in htmlize-view.el.

The implementation of this interface is of course system dependent. What I am using is however could be described as the contract called browse-url-of-file that has been agreed upon in Emacs. It gives simple printing through the browser at least on Windows (and I guess many other systems). A big advantage as I see it is that it uses the printing interface that Windows has. This makes the handling of printers exactly as they use to be in all other Windows programs. I can choose printer, orientation, scaling, etc.