Re: Agent expiration

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Agent expiration
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:21:18 +0100

Gregory Novak <novak@ucolick.org> writes:

> A few things aren't clear to me about Agent expiration after reading
> the manual.
>
> I'm using the agent basically as a local cache of my mail for the
> nnimap backend.
>
> Q1: Agent expiration seems to be distinct from "normal" mail
> expiration.  True?

Yes.

> Q2: Stuff that's deleted when I run gnus-agent-expire will be deleted
> off of my local disk without deleting it off of the imap folder.
> True?

Yes.

> Q3: I just want the agent to mirror what's going on with my imap
> folders.  If I delete an article via "normal" expriation while
> plugged, what happens to the agent copy of the message?

It should be removed.  I have experienced that the agent keep a copy
anyway, but that would be a bug.

> Q4: if the answer to Q3 is "nothing," is there a command to remove
> messages from the agent that have disappeared from the imap server?
> gnus-agent-expire doesn't (seem) to do what I want, given that it will
> get rid of all messages older than some age.

gnus-agent-regenerate-group may help (but may be harmful too, I don't
really know).

I usually just remove the entire Agent cache (~/News/agent/) from time
to time when things have gotten out of whack.  Gnus will cope
gracefully.

> Q5: Finally, is a question like this more appropriately posted to
> ding@gnus.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnus.org, or somewhere else?

The agent is still a moving target, and ding@gnus.org is probably the
best place, especially if you are using Gnus from CVS.