irritating Info/dir problem

From: Mike Ballard
Subject: irritating Info/dir problem
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:19:44 GMT

Normally "C-h i" brings up Info where all topics in top level are colored
(with info-xref face in my case).  But when I started using gentoo that
went away and now although those two faces still have the correct color
when I "display faces", the face doesn't appear to be getting applied to
the top-level Info topics - "List properties" for them shows "none"
(whereas before it would show "info-xref").  And other parts of Info still
have the correct colors - it's just the "* <topic>" lines in top-level
that lost their color/properties.

I discovered that if I rename /usr/share/info/dir and restart emacs/Info
the topic colors are back to normal.  Finding the file that was causing
the problem (there are other dir files getting called but none interfere
w/coloring), I renamed it back to "dir" and started deleting from the
bottom up until topic color came back.

I finally found the one line (in the middle of the file) that if I delete
it and everything below to the end of the file, color works; if I leave
this one line in place and delete everything below it to the end of the
file, color does not work.  So it seems this one line is what's causing
the problem (a perfectly valid topic that activates gnu "chown" Info in
coreutils).

But my problem is, deleting just this one line by itself doesn't bring
color back; and I can't figure out why not.  I even retyped the line in
case there was some wierd char in there (somewhere) - didn't do any good.

The earth won't stop rotating if I don't figure this out but it's still
really bugging me; anyone have any idea why removing this line isn't
fixing the problem as it looks like it should?

Mike