Re: [Newbie] Installing emacs mode

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: [Newbie] Installing emacs mode
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:45:59 +0000

jeessy@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I'm new in emacs 'world' and i want to install php/html/css mode on
> windows. Someone can help me ?
>
> Sorry about my english i'm a frenchie :>
>
> Thanks alot.

Well, a common way of 'installing' modes in emacs is a case of putting the
mode's source code elisp files (.el) in a place where they can be found by
emacs, i.e., in a directory listed in the `load-path' variable, and then having
them autoloaded at start-up.

So, create an elisp directory in your home directory;

  /home/jeessy/elisp

for instance.  Next, add the following line to your /home/jeessy/.emacs file;

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/jeessy/elisp")

Most modes are entered using an interactive command such as 'M-x css-mode', and
assuming the elisp source is called 'css.el', you then need to add the following
line anywhere after the previous line;

  (autoload 'css-mode "css" "CSS editing mode" t nil)
           M-x css-mode |            |
               source file css.el    |

                            This can be anything

Save your .emacs file, quit emacs (assuming you've been using it to edit your
.emacs file) and re-launch.  You should be on your way.  Just type M-x css-mode
and enjoy :-)

sebyte

P.S. I'm not sure about Windows when it comes to home directories :-/