Re: meta key problem C-M-\

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: meta key problem C-M-\
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:48:37 -0400

>> uhm..right. the allmighty wiki.......well, I hope you can forgive an
>> emacs-newbie :-) thanks for the hint, now, it's gonna work though I need
>> to consult the doc every time I use the fingerbrreaking combination
>> *ouch*...

> A decade ago I wrote "a universal solver" for such problems:
> modifier.el.  A (possibly severely crippled) version is included in
> Emacs.  In short, you can replace control- by using some prefix key.
> I usually bind C-F12 to be a replacement for control- prefix (likewise
> for other modifiers).

I can't find your modifier.el but maybe it's been renamed/integrated and
has turned into the C-x @ thingy: C-x @ c is a prefix which adds a control
modifier to the next key.

So you can do C-x @ c M-\ in order to get to the C-M-\ binding.
Of course C-x @ c is not very convenient, so if you need to use it often,
you probably want to bind it to a shorter key sequence such as C-f12:

    (define-key function-key-map [C-f12] 'event-apply-control-modifier)

-- Stefan