Re: Non-ASCII characters Key binding (emacs 21.4)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters Key binding (emacs 21.4)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:08:24 -0400

> On emacs 20.7, it worked. On emacs 21.4, it doesn't work more.
> I've tried to found why trough Google search, tried several way likee
> but nothing.

> 233 is the value of "grave e" character.

Yes, under Emacs-20.7 the code received was not always translated through
the locale-coding-system, so it sometimes said "233" instead of "à".
Luckily it still worked in most cases because self-insert-command, when
inserting the char in the buffer used the `nonascii-translation-table' which
turned the "233" into "à".

In Emacs-21, this was fixed so that the code received is now always "à"
rather than 233 (233 may mean à in some locales but it means other things in
other locales).  In future Emacsen, which specific "à" is returned is likely
to change.

See the "translating keys" thread.

        Stefan