Re: A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:04:28 +0200

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:29:54 +0200
Matthieu Moy <MatthieuNOSPAM.Moy@imag.fr.invalid> wrote:

#> Slawomir Nowaczyk <slawomir.nowaczyk.847@student.lu.se> writes:
#>
#> > 2) Write a function which does what you want and bind it to RET key
#> >       *) the function should check if buffer name ends with *.c
#>
#> Better: bind this function only in c-mode and c++-mode. No test needed
#> in the command itself.

Well, my system reports c++-mode for *.h files as well. Original
poster specifically asked the function to apply to *.c files only.

#> >       *) the function should get current line contents (think of
#> >          functions buffer-substring, point, beginning-of-line, etc.)
#>
#> and C-h f looking-at RET. You don't even need to get it in a string.

docstring for looking-at suggests it looks at text after point, while
the needed one seems to be before the point. Sure you can move to the
beginning of line first, but then I fail to see the benefit...

#> (if (save-excursion
#>       (beginning-of-line)
#>       (looking-at ".*return;")) ; adapt ...
#>   ...
#> ...)

(if (string-match ".*return;"
        (buffer-substring (line-beginning-position) (point)))
 ...)

Well, OK, your version is shorter :)

#> >    And also, try "C-h i C-s elisp RET" :)

#> C-h i m eli TAB RET ;-).

Ah, yes, I always forget this one... Thanks :)

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk
     ( slawomir.nowaczyk.847@student.lu.se )

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.