Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:43:37 +0100

I'd like to make printing comfortable on my OS without having to require Ghostscript (because it's large and it would be installed on many machines).

My problem is that the Postscript generated references a lot of fonts which aren't installed -- even though they are supposedly standard on PS printers. Is there a way to centrally configure the set of fonts that can be used for PS output? (I mean: centrally - not specifically for each mode defining its own faces.)

Alternatively, is there a package that would allow me to print to PDF directly? If I could print PDF, I could make printing perfectly comfortable through the OS's standard print dialogs. If I could print compatible PS, I could use on-board tools to convert to PDF and then display and print.

As it stands now, I can only print directly to the default PS printer without a chance to control / check the progress or preview the output.

Thanks for all suggestions!