Re: java and M-x compile

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: java and M-x compile
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:48:11 +0200

Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 30.09.2005 um 11:37 schrieb LENNART BORGMAN:

but could make -k work by default, or does it need a makefile?

make needs a makefile.

Thanks Pete, that seems reasonable. I do not know make very well so I wondered if there were some builtin defaults. This little excerpt from Info (emacs) Compilation made me think that:

 "For the first `M-x compile', the default
 is `make -k', which is correct most of the time for nontrivial
 programs.  (*Note Make: (make)Top.) "

What does it mean then? Of course if there is a Makefile then "make -k" is correct for most nontrivial programs. At least I hope so ;-)

Then for trivial programs I obviously should try something else. Even though it is not true it feels like I have to know more to do simple things...

I think I will test something like smart-compile.el or mode-compile.el then. Have anyone tried to compare them?