More unicode blocks?

From: Shaddy Baddah
Subject: More unicode blocks?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:28:00 +0800

Hi,

Today, I finally did what I had resolved to do some time ago. I delved
into emacs's unicode support facilities.

I am a little disappointed, because it has become apparent that the
unicode character set support is limited to 3 specific blocks of the
full unicode character set, those being the blocks that start and end at
the indexes expressed in mule-unicode-0100-24ff, mule-unicode-2500-33ff
and mule-unicode-e000-ffff.

The blocks that I am interested in are the CJK Unified Ideographs blocks
, that start at unicode index 0x4E00. Specifically, the characters that
are shared by the character set encoded via the big5 encoding scheme.

I have no problems displaying and editing these characters under the
big5 coding scheme, so they are obviously well supported by emacs (and
it's internal coding scheme, right?).

So, what is the impediment, or perhaps rationale, behind the lack of
support for the additional unicode blocks at this stage of Emacs
development?

Is it simply to do with someone having to implement some type of
character translation tables, or is there/how much more is there to it?

Regards,
Shaddy

P.S: please honour my reply-to email field.