Re: New balance-windows

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: New balance-windows
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:18:22 +0300

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:18:53 +0200, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> "Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il> writes:
>

> > I think that balancing the windows should be done based on geometry
> > ONLY. What do I care how this geometry was reached ?
> >
> > The split tree may cause technical difficulties to the redisplay
> > engine, but it should be solved there.
> >
> > The problem is with `enlarge-window' that can not move some edges,
> > otherwise there is pure geometry algorithm to resize the windows (see
> > my other reply).
>

> Well, I can arrive at
>
> -------------------------
> |           |X          |
> |           |           |
> |           |           | configuration
> -------------------------      0
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> -------------------------
>
> with enlarge-window from either
>
> -------------------------
> |           |X          |
> |           |           |
> |           |-----------| configuration
> ------------|           |     1
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> -------------------------
>
> or
>
> -------------------------
> |            |X         |
> |            |          | configuration
> |            |          |      2
> -------------------------
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> |           |           |
> -------------------------
>
> If I now do another enlarge-window, I would be surprised if the
> direction of enlargement would suddenly change.

The direction of enlargement (vertical or horizontal) is given by
the user, how could that be changed by the split tree.

As I said this is only a technical difficulty. I know Emacs behave
this way, but this is because of the design of Emacs.

I expect that when we have configuration 0 (even if we got there going
through configuration 2 and not from 1), and we do enlarge-window
(on window with X) we'll get:

 -------------------------
 |           |X          |
 |           |           |
 |           |           | expectation
 ------------|           |
 |           |-----------|
 |           |           |
 |           |           |
 -------------------------

And the way Emacs works is to move the whole border like this:

 -------------------------
 |           |X          |
 |           |           |
 |           |           | current behavior

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign