Re: igrep on remote files with tramp?

From: Daniel Berdine
Subject: Re: igrep on remote files with tramp?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:04:56 -0400

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:43:30 -0400, Michael Albinus wrote
(in article <mailman.2000.1122579980.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>):

> Daniel Berdine <rothaar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Or, does anyone know of any other way to make it work?
>
> I haven't worked with igrep yet. But for my own needs, I have trained
> Tramp to support `find-grep-dired'. HTH.

find-grep-dired works, but unfortunately what I need is the grep output of
matching lines within each file. There are generally many many individual
matches for any given search, and narrowing it down to searching 30 files
instead of 50 isn't sufficient. The dired-do-igrep (or grep-find tho I can't
see how to limit the search to marked files as with igrep) results are
exactly what I need. I haven't been able to find any remote search solution
that does anything similar. In fact the only remote search that seems to work
is the incremental dired-do-search, which is great in some instances, but not
generally sufficient.

Thanks for your help, tho!

Cheers,
-Dan