Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: "Easy" Windows Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 07:26:04 +0200

"Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby@gmail.com> writes:
>> Ok, but emacs add-on don't need a different distribution: just put the
>> *.el in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-li sp/ or even in ~/emacs/
>> You don't need an administrator to do it, a mere _emacs_ user can do that.
>
> the spell checker needs aspell/ispell/spell to be installed. last time
> i checked, Mr Gates wasn't distributing that with XP.
>
> also, AucTeX isn't as simple as putting some .el files into a folder...
> its a configure/make install procedure. that needs a POSIX shell.
>
> so... my request is really not as stupid as you make it out to be!
>
> (technical note... on WINDOWS, not UNIX-like systems, so no /usr/local.
> but i could instruct her to install .el files the drag and drop way if
> the adons really were just a single .el file.)

Of course, the first thing I do when I have to use MS-Windows, is to
install cygwin.  That's why I did not see the problem.  Go fetch it:
http://www.cygwin.com/

And of course, ispell is included in cygwin, and AucTeX is included
in the xemacs-sumo package.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay