Re: One handed Emacs

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: One handed Emacs
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 18:04:57 -0500

   > Hmmm; a vi-type key layout might be a lot easier for such a case.
   >
   > If he wants to use emacs, how about turning on `viper-mode'?

What the author means by "VI-type", I think, has something to do with
"pseudo-graphical" layout.

For an example of a "VI-type" layout within Emacs (that has nothing to
do with VI) consider:

  <X|  up   |X>
 left down right

That is what you see on the "Mode_switch" layer, centered on my
homerow.  For one-hand typing, this might offer some advantages or it
might not.  Assuming that one would have to "switch" the keyboard to
access some of b, f, n, or p, then the advantage is clear; otherwise,
I'm not sure it has any significant advantage (although I strongly
prefer to use it).