Re: emacs and UTF-8

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs and UTF-8
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 00:22:39 +0200

Am 28.04.2005 um 23:33 schrieb knubee:

In case debian uses UTF-8 too for file names: keep that entry!

Which one? (In fact, I think I appropriated many of those settings from
one of your earlier postings on this topic :-))

(setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)

On your Scheme experience: could be the Swedish text was the whole time correctly saved as UTF-8 since you made Emacs act like that. Only Guile was in the incorrect environment not able to detect and interpret the UTF-8 text. In the corrected environment Guile now could do it right.

These eMail subjects "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=" come from some RFC that describes how such a non-7 bit text is saved when transferred over the internet. Since mail is still a 7 bit application, because nobody can guarantee that there is absolutely no node that only understands 7 bit, such encoding has to be done. Our eMail, when it leaves the MUA, is encoded as base64 (Emacs can do that too, C-h a base64 RET). And decoded when it enters.

Although I have saved eMails that contain lines like these