Re: EMAIL using VM and GNU

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: EMAIL using VM and GNU
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:39:29 -0600

Mahdi Osman wrote:
> Sorry to bother you with my question.

No bother, but gnu.emacs.vm.info would be more appropriate.

> I have been trying to use GNUS and VM to send and read mails. Sending
> emails went well in both agents. I have tried to read mails from my
> web-based mailbox (gmx.net). Mainly I used VM and tried to configure VM to > read emails from my gmx.net. I could not make progress at all as my vm can
> not get mails.

Does gmx.net support POP or IMAP? If not, you're out of luck.

> My configuration looks as follows:
>
> My vm searches for mails on local disk in my home directory
>
> (~/INBOX). My VM can find whatever is there (I copied some emails in
> this directory for experimenting).
>

> My vm can not get emails from my remote box.
>

> I have got the following pop / IMAP setup
>
> (setq vm-spool-files (list
>                  (concat "pop.gmx.net:110:apop:"
>                          (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")
>                  (concat "imap:imap.gmx.net:143:inbox:login:"
>                          (getenv "m_osm@gmx.net") ":*")))
>
> Error report follows:
>
>       Invalid argument:
>
>       "Unkown service: impa.gmx.net"
>

> Then I tried the following pop setup
>

> (setq vm-spool-files
>       (list
>        (list "~/INBOX"
>              "gmx.net:110:pass:m_osm@gmx.net:*"
>              "~/INBOX.CRASH")))

Is suspect your user name is just "m_osm" (not "m_osm@gmx.net").  So:

(setq vm-spool-files
      (list
       (list "~/INBOX"
             "gmx.net:110:pass:m_osm:*"
             "~/INBOX.CRASH")))

> VM asks for password for
>
> m_osm@gmx.net@gmx.net
>
> My address seems to be messed up, I do not know why.

Because that's what you specified.  :-)

> Finally it tells me that there are no new messages. THAT IS NOT TRUE.
> I KNOW THAT I HAVE 10 UNREAD NEW MESSAGES IN MY MAIL BOX.

Was your password accepted by gmx.net?  If not, VM would not be able to
see the messages in your mailbox.

--
Kevin Rodgers