Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:39:24 -0600

   tom.horsley@att.net (Thomas A. Horsley) writes:

   >>I think it probably wouldn't be too ungodly hard to write a
   >>`what-just-happened' function (but I'm not sure).
   >
   > I don't know about that. Certainly the lisp interpreter should know
   > what function slots it has been executing through. Seems like it would
   > be primarily a job of adding a gazillion entry "recently called functions"
   > array together with some AI for filtering which functions in the
   > array are important to describe "what just happened" (something like
   > keeping track of how frequently each entry was called and recognizing
   > that someone saying "what just happened" was probably startled
   > by some function that hasn't been called much up to this point. Maybe
   > toss in some weighting factor for functions that have changed or are new
   > since the last release as well). Seems almost doable (says someone
   > who is not volunteering :-).

   C-h v last-command RET

That would appear to be of only passing relevance.  It is considerably
easier to keep track of a list of interactive functions (commands)
than it is to sort out the list of all functions that have run, and
separate them into "user-visible" and not-user-visible.  But
`command-history' has an infrastructure that could be used, I'm sure.

On Thomas's "AI" - how about just screening out the functions that
overlap with Common Lisp, and a list of other built-in functions
(`goto-char', etc.) that aren't likely to do anything particularly
interesting in and of themselves.

And in terms of "volunteering", someone should produce a
`last-function' command (maybe 100 entry array would be enough for
testing purposes :)), then a bunch of people could collaborative on a
list of functions to filter out.  A wiki could be used to generate
that list...

I'm pretty sure I've already seen something closer to `last-function'
than `last-command', but I don't remember what it is.