Re: Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help

From: Todd H.
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.1 -nw over ssh, C-h not bringing up help
Date: 20 Mar 2005 12:14:15 -0600

> Am 19.03.2005 um 21:27 schrieb Todd H.:
>
> > pressing C-h now deletes left of the cursor
>
> This is what I have in my xterm in Mac OS X too. The cure is to put in
> your shell's rc file something like
>
>       stty erase '^?'
>
> You can check the shell's settings with 'stty -a' and correct the
> setting of erase from ^H to ^?, which is delete. (You too could
> consult 'normal-erase-is-backspace' in you Emacs ...)

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response.  I had tried mucking with the shell settings
for erase and it didn't seem to help unfortunately.  Seems there's
something new and odd in either Debian or Emacs 21.x that was
thwarting my efforts.

However, dropping
        (normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 0)

into .emacs  (or running that function interactively with M-x
normal-erase-is-backspace  was the magic bullet for me (along with
setting my SecureCRT profile mapped keys for "backspace sends delete."
With those two steps, things are back to the way I was used to under
the RedHat box and Emacs 20.6.1.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.