Re: keymap problem

From: no spam
Subject: Re: keymap problem
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:47:08 GMT

thanks, Joe, but there are still a few problems:

1) if I do M-x help k   (the Backspace key)   I get

C-d runs the command delete-char
(delete-char N   ............)

which means that backspace has already been mapped to C-d (that's why I suspected this required some sort of keymap wizardry). While I could live with C-d and Backspace both meaning delete-backward-char, I'd really rather have C-d continue to mean "delete forward" like it ought to.

2) your syntax doesn't work in my version:  If I try

(global-set-key "^d" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

I get an initialization error "Key sequence ^ d uses invalid prefix characters"

I've also tried [C-d] which didn't get an error but also didn't have the desired effect. Neither did this:

(global-set-key [delete] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

So how do I prevent Backspace from being mapped to C-d?

Joe Corneli wrote:
Or rather `backward-delete-char-untabify' but if you had a function
`delete-backward-char-untabify' you could use the binding strategy
above to bind to it!