Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: PT
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:40:54 +0100

On 18 Mar 2005 22:57:17 +0100, Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

PT <mailshield.gg@mailnull.com> writes:

I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this idea, but I think it
really would help if emacs had a newbie-mode which made it easier for
newbies to get acquainted with it.

C-h t

That's exactly what I meant. The key bindings shown in the tutorial are leftovers from a world when there were no arrow keys on keyboards.

I have some colleagues using VIM and Emacs and none of them use the standard keys for movement, all of them use the arrow keys. I've been using emacs for 6+ years, customized it inside out, wrote minor modes for it and yet I too use the arrow keys, not M-f and M-b and such.

I may sound like a heretic, but I don't think a newbie should learn new keybindings for cursor movement.

I don't even recommend emacs anymore when someone asks me for a good
editor, because they always complain about emacs being too foreign,
non-standard, etc.

This newbie mode would be a simple command which when activated would
change default emacs settings, keybindings to as similar to a more
usual  editor as possible.

M-x viper RET

VI is not a more usual editor. KEdit is. Notepad is.

This would include for example keybindings which are familiar for new
users:

        F1 for help, F2 for save file, F3 for load file, etc.

Where did you find these keybindings?  I've never seen them!  You call
them Familiar???

You are probably a Unix veteran. They are familiar to anyone on Windows for example and much more friendly than C-x C-f.

Better put:

alias newbie-emacs=nano # or pico

in your ~/.bashrc

Sigh. When some people sees how I work with Emacs they want to learn it. The idea is to relieve the initial pain of meeting Emacs the first time, so that they don't give it up in disgust, before they get to know it better.