Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:13:43 +0100

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> When I installed Emacs CVS 21.3.50 on my system,
> the `$ ./configure' step ended up accompanied by the following output:
>
>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>

> . Now, I need Emacs to use png libraried. How to do so?
> I think all those libraries are installed
> in my system, because there are many files with such extensions and,
> besides, I can perfectly view jpeg images.

Now it's o.k. for png, tiff, gif and jpeg, but I didn't manage to install
Xaw3d.
Here are the steps I followed (my system is Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community):

1) When I installed Madrake 10.1 Community, I chose the following
   package installation:
   - Office Workstation;
   - Multimedia station;
   - Internet Station;
   - Configuration;
   - KDE Workstation.

2) # urpmi gcc
   # urpmi cvs
   # urpmi libwxPythonGTK2.5_2
   # urpmi libgtk+2.0_0-devel
   # urpmi gcc-c++

3) From: http://www.zlib.net/
   I downloaded zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz and copied it into ~/tmp dir,
   and installed it with the usual `./configure', `make' and
   `make install' trilogy.

4) From: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5624
   I downloaded libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

5) From: ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff/
   I downloaded tiff-3.7.1.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

6) From: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libungif
   I downloaded libungif-4.1.3.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

7) From: http://site.n.ml.org/info/libjpeg/
   I downloaded libjpeg-6b.tar.gz and put it in ~/tmp. There,
   $ tar xzvf libjpeg-6b.tar.gz
   $ cd jpeg-6b
   $ ./configure --enable-shared
   $ make test
   $ make
   . The directory /usr/local/man/man1 didn't exist. I created it, with:
   # mkdir /usr/local/man
   # mkdir /usr/local/man/man1
   . Then,
   # make install

8) From the `emacs' directory (the source dir of Emacs-CVS)
   I did: `$ ./configure', and in the final output there was:

     Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                       no
     Does Emacs use -lXpm?                         yes
     Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                        yes
     Does Emacs use -ltiff?                        yes
     Does Emacs use -lungif?                       yes
     Does Emacs use -lpng?                         yes
     Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?         no

9) As for Xaw3d, from:
   ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/widgets/Xaw3d/R6.3/
   I downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz and put it into ~/tmp dir. There,
   according with what is suggested in the README.XAW3D file present
   in the distribution, I did:
   $ gunzip -c Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz | tar xpf -
   $ cd xc/lib/Xaw3d
   $ ../../config/imake/imake -I../../config/cf -DTOPDIR=../..
     -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d
   , but got the following error message:
   bash: ../../config/imake/imake: No such file or directory

. Any suggestion about this last step?

Rodolfo