Re: displaying the Eurosign at all

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: displaying the Eurosign at all
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:27:13 -0500

> Well, it's not quite that simple - at least not with my NTemacs
> version 21.3.50.1

Since this is about a development version of Emacs, we should move
this elsewhere.  See INSTALL.CVS.

> There is no language environment called windows-1252 (though
> windows-1255 exists).

Indeed, window-1252 is not a language (I know, there's a "Latin-1" language
environment, but it was just a mistake).  I meant "the cp1252 coding system"
which is also sometimes called "windows-1252".

> The default terminal and keyboard encoding is indeed cp1252, which
> explains why I wasn't having problems with typing and displaying EURO
> signs.

Good.  But in that case, you shouldn't need the global-set-key binding to
insert a euro.

> However, when default file I/O is coded in C to be
> default-buffer-file-coding-system = 'iso-latin-1-dos'

Assuming all this is with "emacs -q", it sounds like a bug.  Please report
it with M-x report-emacs-bug.

> Setting this variable to cp1252 did not do the trick either.

Sounds very odd.  What exactly did you do?  What does
C-h v buffer-file-coding-system say after you load a file with a \200 euro?

> I think the default coding system for file I/O under Windows should be
> cp1252 (aka windows-1252) or cp1252-dos, not iso-latin-1-dos.
> Even better, Emacs should be able to determine the locally used default
> encoding and use that as the default (which varies by localization of the
> OS).

As far as I know that's what it does already.
But I don't actually write or use the Windows part of the Emacs code, so
I may be wrong.

        Stefan