Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:11:08 +0100

Am 05.03.2005 um 07:17 schrieb Ulrich Hobelmann:

Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:

If you want to compile it yourself, you'll probably have to use a snapshot from CVS. DarwinPorts or Fink (in the unstable section) have them. If you want more, you can check http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs and: "make bootstrap" is the command to build this Emacs. And don't give gcc too much switches for the first try. In this software there is a top directory mac with a script, make-package, that meanwhile might be able to create an installer package (.pkg inside a .dmg). When I tried it a few days ago it did not work for me because some minor things were not set, but I reported this issue.

If you can live without compilation, you could try this:

- Seiji Zenitani's Carbon build with transparency (version 21.3.50.1, CVS 20050201)

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/ carbonemacspackage.html>
        <http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html>

This might be useful too, particularly the tweaks, I did not try yet:

http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/osx_emacs.html
http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/Emacs-OSX-Tweaks.tgz

There is also this:

Around last Christmas I published there Elisp files with fontsets for the Carbon and the X11 personality of GNU Emacs -- but beware: your system might be missing some fonts! To retrieve the lists of knows fonts try in both: M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB and save the *Completions* buffers.

My entry into the diverse personalities is like this:

(cond ((= 21 emacs-major-version)
    (progn
    (cond ((string= "x" window-system)
        (message "Sind in X11")
        (load "~/.emacs_X11")
        ))      ; Ende X11
    (cond ((string= "mac" window-system)
        (message "Sind in Aqua")
        (load "~/.emacs_Carbon")
        ))
    (cond ((string= 'nil window-system)
;     (progn
        (message "Sind im Terminal")
        (load "~/.emacs_nil")
        ));)    ; Ende Terminal
    (cond ((= 2 emacs-minor-version)
        (message "Apple's GNU Emacs")
        (load "~/.emacs_Apple")
        ));Version 21.1.30.3
)));Version 21

Emacs from CVS is 22.0.50. GNU Emacs 21.4 is "only" a release to fix a security hole, so most of its code was not coming from CVS ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                                   - Tom Stoppard