RE: How to suppress messages?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to suppress messages?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:24:29 -0800

    > I couldn't find any mention in the Elisp manual of a way to
    > do this. If I
    > have a function that calls a function (a built-in, as it
    > turns out) that
    > calls (message...), how can my function stop the message from being
    > displayed by the called function?

    I don't think there is a way to disable messages in the echo area,
    except perhaps some clever trick.

    The usual way to avoid messages is not to call functions that are
    meant for interactive invocation, but instead use their
    non-interactive subroutines.

Of course. However, there may not always be such a choice. As I mentioned,
this particular occurrence concerns a call to `default-boundp' that (in
Emacs 20) thinks it needs to display a message. I had a similar problem in
Emacs 21 with `xw-defined-colors' calling `message' (bug has been filed).
One can't expect bugs in previous Emacs versions to be corrected, of course.

It's too bad that there is no way to inhibit messages, IMO.

CCing the bug list, as I would like to consider this an enhancement request:
Provide some way to inhibit messages to the echo area, similarly to what
`message-log-max' = nil does for logging messages to *Messages*.

 - Drew