Re: Compiling NTEmacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compiling NTEmacs
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:28:56 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@physics.stanford.edu>
> Date: 07 Jan 2005 22:26:15 -0800
>
> I get an error when compiling Emacs 21.3 on Windows 2000, using
> Mingw's gcc.exe and mingw32-make.exe (renamed to make.exe):
>
> "./../bin/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte
> -l autoloa
> d \
>         --eval "(setq find-file-hook nil \
>                 find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings t \
>                 generated-autoload-file \
>                   \"C:/home/emacs/lisp/loaddefs.el\")" \
>         -f batch-update-autoloads "C:/home/emacs/lisp"
> Wrote c:/home/emacs/lisp/C;c:home.macslisploaddefs.el
> Wrote c:/home/emacs/lisp/C;c:home?macslisploaddefs.el
> Autoloads file c:/home/emacs/lisp/C;c:home.macslisploaddefs.el does
> not exist
> make: *** [all] Error -1
>
> The problem seems to be that either emacs.exe or cmd (the Windows
> command shell) munges the ":" character, even when it is enclosed by
> quotation marks. If I edit the Makefile by hand to eliminate the
> colon, i.e.,
>
>                   \"./loaddefs.el\")" \
>
> then the compilation succeeds.

I'd rather guess that the problem is either with the ported Make you
are using or with some code/program somewhere that converts forward
slashes into backslashes (which are then interpreted by Emacs as
escapes).

If you have a ported Bash, and Make is using it, that also could be
the reason.

Bottom line, I'd suggest to make changes in your development tools.
The file nt/INSTALL lists the combinations of Make and shell that are
known to work; try to stick to one of those.