Edit region in different mode

From: Albert Reiner
Subject: Edit region in different mode
Date: 22 Dec 2004 17:19:36 +0100

Hi,

is there a way of editing the current region in a different mode?  OK,
this is emacs so there certainly is a way, but is there a simple way?

More specifically, I would like to get a new buffer with everything
between point and mark (or maybe some other positions found by
searching), set a different editing mode in that new buffer, and have
the editing take effect in the original buffer when I am done.  I
suspect this should be possible by some combination of
clone-indirect-buffer and narrowing but I don't quite know how to go
about this.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Albert.