Re: emacs question

From: Harshdeep Jawanda
Subject: Re: emacs question
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:32:09 -0700

The thing is, I don't want to scroll the other window, I want to
scroll the current one, the one that has the point in it.

I tried the lines you suggested, and what it does is page-up and
page-down in the other window, neither of which is the behavior I am
looking for (not that it isn't useful).  I want line-up and line-down
in the current window.

To understand better what I am trying to achieve with those
configuration lines, one could put them in their .emacs file and try
it out.  I am reproducing the lines below:
    (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
    (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

Thanks for the help, but that's not quite what I am looking for.

The problem is only that this global-set-key doesn't work over SSH.
What could be the reason for global-set-key not working over SSH?

Would it help if instead of directly writing '"\C-u1\C-v" I made it
into a function and then called the function?  As I don't know elisp,
could somebody help me by writing out this function for me :-)?

PS: To make a line visible in the buffer that has previously scrolled
off the window, one normally has to move point up (or down) a few
lines, do C-l, then check to see if the desired line is in view.  If
not, then repeat process.  I find this super-clumsy (can't understand
how RMS thought that was the way to go).

So my desire was/is to have the kind of scroll functionality I've seen
in some Windows editors.

--
Harshdeep S Jawanda