Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: D P Schreber
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: 14 Dec 2004 05:56:50 GMT

On 2004-12-14, Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I'm not saying it is unacceptable to use Emacs under Aqua, I'm saying
> that it isn't "better".  The OP was asking for help with X11

The OP asked for help in getting a windowed emacs working in osx, with
scrollbars etc.  If that was all he was after, the carbon emacs is
something he needed to know about, if he didn't already.  So I mentioned
it.  Btw I also gave him the pointer to fix his X11 problem.

As it turns it, the OP mentioned later that he has other X11 needs, and
that was the end of that as far as I was concerned.  This is where you
come in.

Personally I'm a pragmatist about such things.  Sorry but I just don't
like fundamentalism.  I have both an X11 build and a carbon build on my
system and I use whichever one makes more sense at any given time.
Sometimes I run emacs in a terminal.  Sometimes I use vim.  Like most
people who read this newsgroup, I'm clever enough to adapt to my
environment and to circumstances.

> seems inappropriate to suggest a nonfree replacement.

This is just utterly absurd. He's already made the decision to run osx.
That was done before this discussion even started.  Get over it.  Maybe
you think there's some great moral issue in play if you run ./configure
with --with-carbon instead of --with-x11.  But if you do, well, frankly
that makes you a loon imo.