Re: REPL

From: Elvin Peterson
Subject: Re: REPL
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:00:59 +0530

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
Elvin Peterson <elvin_peterson@yahoo.com> writes:

Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

On Boomtime, The Aftermath 40, 3170 YOLD, Elvin Peterson wrote:

How do I create a REPL for emacs for elisp?

Just use lisp-interaction-mode, there you can use C-j to evaluate
form
before the cursor and result is inserted into the buffer.  The initial
*scratch* buffer is started in this mode.

That is quite painful to use, especially since I don't get the command
recall and options to access outputs of previous commands.  Something
like SLIME would be really nice.

Yes, some work hard on stuff like ilisp or slime to try to be able to
use other lisp like emacs-lisp, and others are not happy with
emacs-lisp REPL and want the harder lisp REPL...

I was thinking more in terms of teaching new users rather than application development. Downloading, installing, and configuring a standalone lisp seems more involved than just running emacs.

Thanks for the reply.