Re: emacs for everything?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:47:16 +0000

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote on Tue, 16 Nov 2004
12:58:40 +0100:
> Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

>>   What _you_ are missing on X is the benefit of having Emacs
>>   occupying the _whole_ screen with an optimal font, without
>>   distractions from window borders, mice, scroll-bars, menus,
>>   task-bars, wine-bars, tool-bars, crow-bars, and what ever else
>>   glaziers clutter your screen up with.

>> He might be but _I'm_ not -- check out the ratpoison window manager.
>> (And if you like my posted emacs configuration, which gets rid of all
>> the googahs you mentioned.)

> Don't forget to mention 'wmi':

> You can hide all 'distrations from window borders, mice scroll-bars,
> menus, task-bars,...' and by the way, 'fluxbox' can do that too.

I had a look at wmi's Webseite last night.  And that other one that you
program with "lua" (whatever that is).  And fluxbox.

It's great to see all these products, four or five of them, each giving
links to their "competitors".  If only commercial products were so
helpful.

I think I'll stick to ratpoinson, though, for when I need X.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter