Re: Autofill on a modified paragraph

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Autofill on a modified paragraph
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:12:12 -0400

Giannandrea Castaldi wrote:

> Hi all,
> when I'm writing a text in a text mode the autofill insert soft newlines
> so that the lines aren't too long.
> But if I change a paragraph the autofill doesn't reformat the whole
> paragraph, I must reinsert spaces in the right positions so that it
> reinsert soft newlines.
> There is a way to apply refill on the whole paragrath/buffer?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Giannandrea

Have you tried refill-mode? I use it all the time, but don't know
about the soft newlines part.

I use it as a toggle, since there are some problems with it. One is
that it forces you to space paragraphs in block style, like you see
here. Otherwise it'll slurp lines up into one paragraph.

If you need to make a list:

First item
Second item
Third item

You need to turn auto-fill off because you'll get:

First item second item third item

It can get really greedy.

Otherwise it's almost like a true word wrap.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.