Re: removing the toolbar

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: removing the toolbar
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:02:24 GMT

> instance initialises it starts up with the specified size but then removes
> the toolbar and gets shorter by the space the toolbar took up previously.

When you start Emacs, it begins by creating a frame, then reads your .emacs.
So when it creates the frame, it hasn't seen yet that you want the toolbar
to be turned off.  After the .emacs is read, the frame is reconfigured to
correspond to the new settings.

If you think this behavior should be changed, please send a feature request
to gnu.emacs.bug.

E.g. I've changed my Emacs to create the initial frame *after* reading the
.emacs file so as to avoid/reduce those problems (but then all the "loading"
messages from my .emacs are sent to stderr).

As someone mentioned, you can fix your particular problem by using
Xresources because these are read before creating the initial frame.

        Stefan