Simple script for building CVS version of Emacs fails

From: William Payne
Subject: Simple script for building CVS version of Emacs fails
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:01:29 +0200

Hello, if I'm off-topic, I apologise, and I'd like to know where I should
ask this question. I hope I'm on-topic, because I have feeling that several
regulars to this group are using a CVS version of Emacs and maybe could help
me.

Consider this simple bash script which is supposed to check out the latest
emacs sources and build them:
#!/bin/bash
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
cd emacs/nt/
./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug --cflags -I/usr/include/noX
make bootstrap
make install

The actual checkout works fine, but the build process quickly ends with the
following error message:
gcc -o oo-spd/i386/preprep.exe \
            -mno-cygwin  oo-spd/i386/preprep.o

Essential Lisp files seem to be missing.  You should either
do `make bootstrap' or create `lisp/abbrev.elc' somehow.

exit: Illegal number: -1
make: *** [maybe-bootstrap-SH] Error 2

What am I doing wrong here? The script is issuing a make bootstrap and not
just a make. I was hoping time would fix this problem, but it must be local
to cygwin or something because I've had it for weeks now. Any ideas?

/ WP