Re: Display fringe only if not one-window-p?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Display fringe only if not one-window-p?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:17:22 +0200

> I generally use one window per frame, and I automatically resize the frame
> to fit the window (using
> http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/auto-resize-frames.el).
>
> In Emacs 21 (.3.50), I would like to remove the fringe area for such
> windows, but I don't necessarily want to remove the fringe area when a frame
> has more than one window. Anyone know how to do this easily?
>
> Better: Is there a way (an easy way) to associate a _predicate_ with display
> of things like fringe area - to display the fringe area for a window, for
> instance, only if a line wraps or is truncated?   I can of course modify
> display-buffer, but I'm wondering if there is a clean and easier way.

It can probably be done with a post-command-hook:

call sit-for to update the display

then scan the fringes of each display line for
truncation bitmaps etc. with fringe-bitmaps-at-pos,

then use set-window-fringes to show/hide the fringes.

> Also, I don't see what fringes-outside-margins does. I've changed it to t or
> nil and done set-window-buffer, but I don't seen any visible change.

It is only used if the window has display margins (see set-window-margins).

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk