Re: getting <C-LEFT>, <C-RIGHT>, etc. to work in GNU Emacs under cygwin

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: getting <C-LEFT>, <C-RIGHT>, etc. to work in GNU Emacs under cygwin
Date: 08 Sep 2004 21:34:06 -0500

Charles Davis wrote:

    I am running GNU Emacs 21.2 under a cygwin BASH shell on an XP-2003
    system.  I would like to use my control key with the arrow keys on the
    "inverted T on my keyboard.  Unfortunately, Emacs does not seem to
    notice when the the control modifier is used with these keys.  The
    same is truewhen the control modifier is used with keys on the "6-pack."

    I have tried changing the TERM environment variable.  While that
    changes the definitions of the keys themselves (e.g., <home> may
    become <find>), I still am unable to use the control modifier with
    these keys.

These are not ASCII control characters.  Such keys only work if you
are directly communicating with a window system.  If you are often in
situations where this is not the case, then the only solution I know
of is to only use non-ASCII control characters for window manager
bindings and other bindings that only make sense when directly
communicating with a window system.  That is what I personally do.  It
may be that certain operating systems (like MS Windows) do not make this
easy.

Maybe other people know more satisfactory solutions.

Sincerely,

Luc.