Re: How to check if Emacs currently waits for output of a running proces

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to check if Emacs currently waits for output of a running process in a visible buffer?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:33:39 GMT

> If this returns not nil then there is currently at least one
> process-buffer visible - so far so good, but unfortunatelly this form also
> returns not nil if a *shell* buffer is visible, but here Emacs does not
> really wait for input.  Is this understandable, makes this clear what I'm
> searching for?

The difference between *shell* and the rest is one of intent, i.e. one that
can't be checked without the intervention of the user.
E.g. even the *shell* buffer might be running `tail -f' and thus be waiting
for output.

But depending on what you want to do you might be able to use
process-query-on-exit-flag (aka process-kill-without-query).

        Stefan