Re: Thinking of Converting to EShell - Opinions?

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: Thinking of Converting to EShell - Opinions?
Date: 17 Aug 2004 23:52:59 GMT

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "Tennis Smith"
<tennis_smith@yahoo-remove-to-reply.com> transmitted:
> I've used tcsh for years. But it looks like the eshell is finally
> mature enough to be a good alternative.  Is it? Can you use it on a
> daily basis without having to switch back? Is the conversion worth
> the effort?

I considered that once, but couldn't find documentation I liked on how
to use looping constructs and such, and gave up.  Unfortunately, the
Info material is nearly useless, at least what was included with the
version running with XEmacs that I have installed.

The case I'd see FOR it is if you have a great deal of existing ELisp
code you'd like to use when scripting.

Absent that, running zsh or the likes in a shell buffer would seem to
me to be more useful in providing traditional shell-oriented
capabilities.

And if I wanted to script in Lisp, I'd much rather use either CLISP or
CMUCL as the basis...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html