International Characters (üöäß)

From: Olaf Pokorny
Subject: International Characters (üöäß)
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 10:27:45 +0200

Hi,

I´ve installed the current version of emacs on my german Suse Linux 9.
I am using emacs only in my shell but I can´t write characters like 'üöäß'. When I am opening a existing file where the characters are already in, emacs is showing them but I can´t write them for myself.
When I am saving the file, the already existing ones are replaced by
a '?'. How can I change emacs to use that characters (isolatin1?).

Regards,
O.P.