Re: Passing Multiplie Arguments in the mini buffer

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Passing Multiplie Arguments in the mini buffer
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:12:06 -0600

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:
>>However, according to it's doc string move-to-column takes, in
>>addition to the first argument, a second optional one.  How can I
>>pass this second argument if I'm issuing the function interactively?
>
> I think there is no obvious way.  Of course, you can cheat by doing
>
>     M-: (move-to-column 42 t) RET
>
> But that's, well, cheating.  Please note that M-: and M-x are not the
> same.  I really meant M-:.

You could cheat even more by specifying a different interactive
interface, via defadvice.  :-) I gave it a try, but haven't quite got
it working:

(defadvice move-to-column (before interactive activate)
  "When called interactivly, prompt for COLUMN and interpret a prefix arg
to mean FORCE."
  (interactive "nColumn: \nP")

The first part does what I'd hoped: I'm prompted for the column, and
that's where Emacs moves point to.  But the "P" interactive spec
doesn't seem to have any effect, and neither did setting force
explicitly: (ad-set-arg 1 current-prefix-arg)

--
Kevin Rodgers