Re: recommended russian encoding

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: recommended russian encoding
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:45:33 -0600

Bruce Ingalls wrote:
> Thanks, UTF-8 does seem to work best, and it worked on w32.
> It also worked in gedit on Linux, as well.
> However, when I tried opening the file in Emacs on Linux, the UTF-8
> encoded Russian characters displayed as garbage.

Garbage?  Empty boxes would indicate that there's no available font, but
bogus glyphs indicate a problem with the encoding.  Did you visit the
file with `C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f'?

> I am using the precompiled Emacs that is bundled with Fedora Core 2
> (latest RedHat). I assume that it has leim & mule bundled in.
> How might I check what is going wrong?

Use `C-h h' to display the HELLO file.  Is the Russian text correctly
displayed?  Does it make a difference if you invoke emacs with the
--font=fontset-standard option?  How about disabling any Fedora
customizations with --no-init-file --no-site-file?

--
Kevin Rodgers