Learning C++ with Emacs?

From: Cecil
Subject: Learning C++ with Emacs?
Date: 29 Jun 2004 13:18:59 -0700

I will be starting C++ at my school. I moved to linux about 4 months
ago. I have been using Pico, but have decided to give Emacs a shot as
my editor for C++. The idea is that I will be using the console for
most things; I will be using a very very old laptop, that Emacs will
run on with no problem it seems. I ordered the Learning GNU Emacs book
from O'rielly, and would like comments or opinions or whatever from
y'all. I will be learning C++ from the very beginning. The teacher
wants to use Visual C++, but I have a ancient machine, I run Linux,
and if I have to, I'll just email source to myself at school. Am I
making a mistake choosing to learn Emacs to learn C++? I have heard it
refered to as a dinosaur whose time has come and gone, but I can't
really run X well. So, I have to broaden my mind and leave
preconceived ideas and notions behind.

Many thanks,

Cecil