Migrating from Jove - help?

From: Alan Ezust
Subject: Migrating from Jove - help?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:10:54 -0400

Using:GNU Emacs 21.3.1

I've been using jonathan's own version of emacs since 1988,
and I've tried gnu-emacs a few times but keep giving up because
I can't figure out how to do jove-like things in it yet.

1. If I make changes and want to exit without saving, in jove I do
ctrl-x ctrl-c
it asks: "modified buffers exist - exit anyway?",
I say: "y<return>" and it lets me out.

But with emacs, it asks me first this other question, which requires the
opposite yes/no answer, which always screws me up:
"save file? y/n"

And then, if I say N, emacs asks me ANOTHER
question, and it won't accept a simple y/n, so I have to type
"yes<return>"

Can I have it skip that first question, and also permit me a single letter
response for the second?

2. What is the command to toggle line-wrap in the current buffer?
   I did an "apropos wrap" and found no commands that actually toggle
line-wrap.

3. How do I toggle the display of line numbers?
  I did an "apropos number", found a command called
   "line-number-mode" but it seems not to do anything. Why is that?