Re: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 07:50:55 +0200

Harish Narayanan <harish@gamebox.net> writes:

> Hello all.

Hello,

> I've been trying to open a large file (208 MB) but I receive the error
> "Maximum buffer size exceeded" and Emacs fails to open the file.

This is because cursor position are stored in a lisp pointer, which is
coded on a bit less than 32 bits.

Anyway, a 208 MB file in  Emacs would require a *really* big amount of
RAM.

So,  you  have  two options  in  addition  to  what has  already  been
suggested: Use  a 64bits  machine with  a lot of  RAM, or  use another
editor for this specific task.

--
Matthieu