Re: pcl-cvs and ssh on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs and ssh on Windows
Date: 28 Apr 2004 13:16:47 +0200

> From: Brad Collins <brad@studiojungle.net>
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:23:39 +0700
>
> I've been having no luck getting VC and PCL-CVS to access sourceforge
> cvs.
>
> I'm running Win98, I have Cygwin OpenSSH and CVS and I'm running a
> prebuilt copy of CVS Emacs.

That's your problem, right there: you are mixing Cygwin console apps
with a non-Cygwin build of Emacs.  There are known incompatibilities
between these two families of Windows programs wrt redirection of
console I/O, and, as you can imagine, Emacs depends on the ability to
catch console I/O in its front-end to CVS.

Solution: find a native Windows (i.e., non-Cygwin) build of CVS and a
native implementation of SSH.  You should have no problems locating
the former on the net (sorry, no URL, but the CVS home page has
pointers to a couple of such ports); as for the latter, I recommend
PuTTY (and then point CVS_RSH to plink.exe that comes with PuTTY).

Alternatively, install (or build) a Cygwin version of Emacs, and then
use the Cygwin CVS and OpenSSH that you have now.