Re: A lot of Spam

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: A lot of Spam
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:39:45 -0600

  Who's moderating the list?

  Isn't it possible to restrict posts only to those subscribed to
  the list?

I agree that spam seems to have suddenly taken over this list.

I think the GNU lists have historically admitted open posting - so
that people who aren't subscribed can post to the list.  But several
of the GNU mailing lists, including, sadly, this one, have, more or
less recently, become all-but-unusable because of the quantity of
spam.

Everyone who uses the list could install a local spam filter (this
is not as much use for people who get their mail in digest form),
but it seems to me that either a spam filter or a `blowback' style
(http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~sleator/blowback/) test to screen out
non-person-originated mail would be well worth installing on the GNU
mail server at this point.

With the last few day's digest summaries looking like this...

   1. Re: HOWTO: using psgml for web development (Emory Smith)
   2. Earn $500 to $700 per week Shopping Online! (syui@iopd.com)
   3. Someone is interested in you (Alisa Hargrove)
   4. Earn $500 to $700 per... (hfdko@godf.com)
   5. A lot of Spam (Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos)
   6. Problem with some Elisp to start NuPRL5
      (Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos)
   7. Re: HOWTO: using psgml for web development (Emory Smith)
   8. - (?????????)

   1. Fw: Americans Thieves: Are These US Marines Looting
      Liberating        Iraqi Gold Or Fixing ............ Door.  (Scientists
Group)

   1. BTP [Bas?n B?lteni] 17-03-2004 (Bas?n B?lteni) <basin@btp.org.tr>)
   2. What key is this? (Harter, Douglas)
   3. V  I  C  O  D - I  N    ONLINE  Dog (Vickey)
   4. Get cheap via-gra (Rena Ingram)
   5. Get discounted OEM software from Online Store! iub xa
      (Stefanie Pereira)

   1. VIRUS INTERCEPTED: [0317065280281] (ddunlop@redpoint.ws)

   1. Brass   V1c0d-n +c-^++ali+a_s+  (Dixie)
   2. More efficient than via-gra (Kathleen Story)
   3. Deep Islamic Thinking (Scientists Group)
   4. Several modes acting strangely (Bingham, Jay)
   5. Week-en--d- Pill +Co-mpa*rison (Karan)
   6. More efficient than via-gra (Desiree C. Lawrence)
   7. Virus Found in message "fake" (Chris Hamer)

... it really seems to me that something should be done to make the
list usable again!