allowing scroll to move point off screen

From: Vincent A. Fiano
Subject: allowing scroll to move point off screen
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:36:39 -0500 (EST)

I've been using emacs for many years, but I really like the way that the
simple GUI editors scroll - they leave the cursor at the same buffer
position even if it is off screen.  This has the advantage of being able
to look at another part of the buffer, but snap back to your current
buffer position by typing or moving the point.

It seems that keeping the point on the screen is hard coded into the
redisplay function of emacs, but is there any way to allow the scroll bar
and mouse wheel to move the point off the screen?

Unfortunately, from what I can tell redisplay automatically adjusts
window-start and window-end and the point to keep the point on the screen,
and it does not know if I am scrolling via a scrollbar or page up/down
key.  Is there a variable I can set that controls whether redisplay
recenters the point or not?  Given this I think that I can manage the rest
myself.

- Vincent

Vincent Fiano    /          ynniv@cc.gatech.edu
       M          o         o         F