Re: displaying one character per line.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: displaying one character per line.
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:38:32 +0100

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> I don't mean just the search-and-replace solution: I am thinking
> that the buffer should have the same content as it does normally,
> just shown in this weird display mode.  I'd also like to be able to
> do a word-based version of the same thing:

You can add overlays to the buffer with :before-string or
:after-string properties.  Not sure if this is also possible with text
properties, though.  If you need to use overlays, then you need to
move the overlays when the buffer changes...

longlines.el uses a similar mechanism to show hard newlines with the ΒΆ
symbol.  But I didn't write it, so I don't know how it is done.

Kai